Friday, February 19, 2010

Aggressive Drivers

Every morning as I drive to work, I’m reminded of just how harried our lives are nowadays. I try to allow myself extra drive time so I don’t feel the need to rush. I make a conscious effort not to drive aggressively and be courteous to others on the road. But I know how easy it is to get caught up in the aggressive culture of commuting.

You may be wondering who cares? When I am driving alone, in the off chance other drivers do something to aggravate me, it doesn’t really matter if I mutter something less than ‘G-rated’…but what about when the kids are in the car?

Are you an aggressive driver? Do you let other peoples’ rude on-road driving affect the way you drive? Do you respond aggressively or verbally? If so, keep in mind that your kids are ever mindful of your behavior. If your kids regularly see you respond in anger to a driver that inadvertently cut you off, or you pretend not to see someone desperately trying to merge, what lesson are you teaching your kids?

My kids are older. Three of four are already driving. I fully believe that our actions speak louder than words. By being a courteous driver at all times, I hope that my children will do the same when they are on the road. Occasionally, I will slip and get annoyed with other drivers, but I make a conscious effort not to respond in kind by behaving aggressively or irresponsibly. I hope you’ll do the same. This is a lesson I hope my children and yours remember every time they get behind the wheel of a car.

No comments: