Friday, October 5, 2007

Thoughts on Racism

It’s a sad fact that racism exists at all, but the fact is that there is prejudice throughout the human race, worldwide. Personally, I don’t discriminate based on race. I have friends that are all ages, colors, religions, shapes, sizes, etc. I base my opinions on personality, attitude, and the way people present themselves. If faced with a well-dressed, clean cut black man or a raggy looking white teenager with attitude, I would be leery of the teenager.

Of course, I’m not naive enough to think racism doesn’t exist. But like I mentioned earlier, there is prejudice of all kinds; it has been shown that thin, attractive people earn more than unattractive or overweight people…

All around the world, people who are genetically very similar kill one another because they are from different tribes or factions, or believe in different religions. I agree that in many cases, it is due to jealousy and mistrust. And I believe the same applies to racism here in America. It’s hard to believe people still think like this in this day and age, but they’re out there.

When I see white supremacists, etc. it sickens me, but it is a perfect example of ignorance. The recent incident with Imus (I’m not a fan) brought to the forefront the problem of “acceptable” prejudice and lack of respect for others in hip hop and the entertainment communities.

I don’t know if it would be accurate to say racism is ignored in America. But I do think that our society is becoming desensitized to things like violence against those who believe differently than we do, or stereotyping, etc. After 9-11, many Americans are suspicious of Muslims and/or foreigners, which is purely reactionary.

I believe it’s everyone’s responsibility to speak up when racist (or hurtful) remarks of any kind are made. It is up to all of us to teach our children that we are all human. Respect is not deserved because of the color of one’s skin or their birthright. Instead it is EARNED and we all have the ability to earn respect and our place in life. As a society, we have to decide that prejudice against any segment of the population is wrong. There are those that feel racism is wrong, but will treat homosexuals like the scourge of the earth. This is wrong. Prejudice is prejudice. No amount of bible-thumping or cross-burning or hood-wearing will change that fact.

I was once at my children’s school and a group of children were picking on one girl until she cried (it wasn’t racist-just hurtful, bullying). I stopped them and spoke to them all. I asked them how they would feel if others treated them this way and that they needed to treat each other with respect and kindness. It was a lesson for all of them. I made the offenders apologize and they were all quiet afterward. Hopefully, it sent an important message. However, the teachers often ignore this type of behavior. If every adult stepped up to the plate when kids engage in this type of hurtful behavior, maybe they would grow up to be more tolerant, respectful, kind adults. We can’t change everyone’s backward thinking, but we can make a huge difference if we start with the children.

Should an anti-racism curriculum be implemented in our schools? What are your thoughts on ending racism in America?

No comments: